About Me

Monday, October 13, 2008

2005 Topps Update and Highlights Box

I had wanted a box of 2005 Topps Update and Highlights for a while. I found an auction on ebay for a box of 2005 and 2006 for $50 plus 10 S&H and went for it. I collect the Midsummer Covers /150 game used balls and the All star Jersey and Patch cards so I was hoping to get one of the more limited cards.

My first comment is that I like the design and the Rookie selection for 2005 is pretty good. My second comment is that even though there was no damage to the box, there were quite few dinged corners through out the box.

Base Set: I am very happy with the collation of this box. I got the following: Matt Kemp, Jay Bruce, Ryan Zimmerman, Phil Hughes, Russell Martin, Jacoby Ellsbury, Felix Hernandez, David Murphy, Ryan Braun, Blake Dewitt, and Stephen Drew. the photos are classic Topps Rookie poses. In fact some look like they were taken at the player's high school with a fresh uniform that was delivered minutes before hand. Some of my favorite cards:
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Gold Cards /2005: These are a favorite year in, year out. I got 11 out of this box: Season Highlights A-Rod, Ricky Barrett, Sporting News, Willy Taveras, Sporting News Colon, Joe Randa former Eugene Emerald, Kevin Collins, Johan Silva, Scott Mitchinson, Stefan Bailie, 2005 AL RBI Leaders, 2005 NL ERA Leaders.

Home Run History Barry Bonds: Topps, I hate these cards. They do nothing for me what so ever. Please stop these cards in the future. I see people trying to give these cards away on Ebay, maybe they would be better off burning them in the Winter for heat. Second, I hate Barry Bonds. I know he was your spokesman but someone in your company had to know he was on the juice and how reviled he is. I will also admit to not liking the Mantle versions either. Sorry.

All Star Jersey: I don't know why I like these cards so much. I just think they are cool because they have a theme and completing the set has some sort of meaning.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Overall, I liked this box with the exception of the dinged corners. I am not sure what the cause of this is but Topps maybe needs to research this. So if you buy a box, the don't let the corner damage surprise you.

No comments: