About Me

Sunday, November 16, 2008

2000-01 Topps Chrome Basketball Box Break Review

Along with my 17 packs of 1992 Bowman Football, I got a box of 2000-01 Topps Chrome Basketball. The big draw with these are the Final Piece jerseys 1:1,000,000 or something to that effect. They are /25. No I didn't get one. Anyway, there are a few quality rookies to be had in this set. Refractors are 2 per box and there are a number of other inserts. 24 packs/4 cards

Base Set:
Collation was good and I got a number of stars.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Note the two Refractors. Man these are tough at two per box. Makes me think there could be 500 or so sets produced?

Rookies:
I got Kenyon Martin and a few others. These are all /1999. I wish they would do this with all rookies instead of non serialed ones. I don't particular care if they are /2999 just to put 8-10 per box.
Photobucket
I think I got 5 or 6 overall. Still take quite a few boxes to put a set together. If it takes more than 2-3 boxes to put a set together, the card company needs to rethink there set. That is very frustrating to your customers. Take Donruss products and their /999. They should double that number to /1999 and put twice as many per box. I want to get a complete set not be half way there after dropping $200 on boxes.

Inserts:
The inserts are nice. The Shaq/Kobe card is ok in the regular Topps, but the Chrome version is swwweeeeeet. The colors really pop and the contrast is excellent
Photobucket
You have to see these No Limit cards in person to really appreciate them, really nice:
Photobucket
I collected these Magic reprints and never were cards for a while. I think I have a set of them now and a few refractors. As you can see from the pic, I did get one refractor and a total of 5.
Photobucket
Photobucket

This was a pretty good box overall, but again, these chrome boxes are not close to being worth retail. Look out below, cause I'm about to drop some knowledge.

4 cards * 24 packs = 96 cards. at .10 a card = 9.60 @.20 = 19.20 @.30 = 28.80 @.40 = 38.40 @.50 $48.00. So you are paying at retail $4.00 a pack = $96 a box, I know you can get them cheaper, but this is what I see them for at shops. So at retail you are paying $1.00 a card. Really? a buck a card. That is highway robbery for what you get. I paid $23 for the box plus shipping and I doubt at that price I could break even on the box. I guess Topps is hoping you don't do the math on a product like this, because there is no way anyone would buy them. With the new Chrome, what am I going to pull? A worthless rookie auto? A few stars? Sure you could get a patch/auto /25 out of the 2008 stuff. Aren't those one per case?

Yes I get that the fun is opening the packs, but you are blind or stupid to not think about getting both perceived value and actual value out of your box. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed opening this box, but then again I paid a buck a pack or so. I suggested some time ago, and still do, to wait a year or two or three before buying chrome product and seeing if you can get it cheaply. Sure you might miss out on a big product, but it was probably high priced when it came out too. High Chrome prices don't surpirse anyone.

No comments: