About Me

Saturday, November 1, 2008

2006-07 Topps Basketball Hobby HTA Jumbo Box

As much as the 2007 Topps football product generally sucks, the 2006-07 Topps Basketball is generally Awesome. I can't say enough good things about this product. The box was $10 plus $10 Shipping. 12 packs/35 cards, not sure what these retailed for. The photography and action shots are great. The white borders with the team colors contrast extremely well.

Base Set: As above, I really like the base set. Tons of stars, lots of rookies. In addition the rookies are not short printed so you can easily complete a set. There are some variations of the rookies. One will be a draft day photo, one is a college action photo. It doesnt seem that one version is harder to get than the other. Speaking of variations, there are 11 or so versions of the Larry Bird card. Again, no version seems to be harder to get than the other. The collation of the box seemed pretty good. I didn't get all of the cards from this box, some are from a retail box that I bought a couple months ago. The jumbo packs had 6-8 rookies per pack. Oddly, I only got 1 Kobe in this box. It could come out that Topps was up to some SP Shenanigans.
JJ Redick and Lamarcus:
Photobucket
Adam Morrison
Photobucket
Brandon Roy: I only got one of the posed photo cards of this one, maybe a short print?
Photobucket
Farmar, this guy has one of the best autos out there:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Bird
Photobucket
Rondo
Photobucket
Random Rookies
Photobucket
The Hobby Masters set is great. It features Hall of Famers. The cards are very nice with a retro look. One note on the checklist. This is a different color than the others that I had from my last box and I only got 1. Is Topps trying to revisit the old days of rare checklists and variations? There is also a Bird years that weren't or something like that insert. This is an 85 version that I got out of the retail box.
Photobucket
Clutch City Stars is the All Star insert set 1:3 and Clutch City Prospects 1:5. These come in relic versions as well. The Prospect is a gold tinted. Some time ago I bought a /25 Chris Paul Shorts card. I think I paid 12 for it. In my defense I was stupid and thought it was his rookie year. Anyway, the clutch city inserts are nice. There is a theme and the cards have a nice look to them.
Photobucket
I did get one relic card of Delonte West. The swatch has a double stitched seam in it and is /99. Pretty long odds 1:2300 but I could be wrong.
Photobucket
Parallel: Gold 1:22/Black1:26/Platinum1:304. I got one gold /500. Not a whole lot of parallel madness here. Much like 03 topps football and their /499 gold parallels.
Own the Lame1:3: Still hate them. No point to this insert set what so ever. Topps: Stop making this insert set.
Pride of the Program Inserts 1:8: These are Ok. Three players featured on each card. Too much foil stamping. Would be a sweet relic which they have.
2k7 1:18: These are dumb. They are the NBA 2k7 "characters"/players featured on a card. The electronic version of these players are a bit creepy.

In spite of some bad inserts, 2006-07 Topps Basketball is a winner. I might even pick up a case of these cheap just to see if I can pull some of the rarer autos and relics. I am starting to think that Basketball is Topps strongest product. The set is pretty small and the players are more recognizable than thousands of nameless rookies that toil in baseball year after year with tons of scrubs that are just a warm body to have on a team. Same goes for football.

No comments: