About Me

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

2007-08 Topps Chrome Basketball Box Break Review Comments

Captain Canuck said...
maybe it's my bias, or my location... but is there a real market for basketball cards anymore? All that could be had for peanuts on ebay, like you said... isn't that the same for all basketball?
Or is the whole hobby that way and I'm just missing it?

I am Joe Collector said...
To answer the question, there is a big market for basketball cards. I think that maybe its your location to a certain extent, but ebay is doing away with some of the geographic limitations. Many would say the same about Hockey Cards, but if you look at the auctions on ebay, there seems to be quite a demand.

Don't get me wrong, the junk hits are still almost worthless, but the whole hobby is like that. To illustrate check out the following auction number: 250319824799 , heart be still Braves fans.

Glavine and Smoltz. Are you kidding me? Those were the hits out of a box, yet note the sale price. You can barely get a pack for that if you include the shipping. Other examples: 220305636763 220305638852 250319276587 250319239490 270297911672 220299620776

In all fairness, not everyone is interested in those cards, nor do I think they are "steals" like a mojo yelling douche, but those were some hits that if I would have gotten them out of a pack, I would have been happy. Those are all stars, or at the very least decent players that have more than regional appeal. Thus, my conclusion of "hot packs".

So yeah, the whole hobby is that way except for the major hits, but we buy packs for the set building and the fun of opening, but once you have opened a box or two at the most, what is the point of buying more.

Take for example the orange refractors out of the 07-08 Chrome box, buying packs to chase those is pretty stupid. The rookie autos are the same way, so what if you have to pay $7 each to get those on ebay, that's only a few packs worth of dollars and you are getting what you want.

2 comments:

William Noetling said...

It would be really much easier to hit the auctions that you reference if instead of giving the auction number, you actually link to the auction.

Captain Canuck said...

Glavine and smoltz for .99 cents.

Why the heck can't I find that when I'm trolling the 'bay???

I so have to focus my pursuits...

and thanks for the response! I've never had a post written from one of my comments before...