About Me

Sunday, November 9, 2008

2007 Playoff Prestige Retail Box Break

I am always trolling ebay for sealed boxes of the last few years to get caught up on my collecting. Today's example is the 2007 Playoff Prestige Retail Box. This box was $25-$26 on ebay from Jackandleeann. There shipping is a bitch if you only get one box, but they cut you some slack on multiple box purchases. They sell mostly retail boxes with a few hobby sprinkled in. I have no idea where they get them or how they are able to sell them at these prices. Example, as above I paid $25 shipped. These packs retail for $2.99, 24 packs a box, thus $71.76 a box. So I paid less than 1/4 of the retail without the shipping. I am not sure how much cost is on these, but I think it is more than that.

24 packs/5 cards/$2.99 pack:

The base set is fine, its a little stuffy and reminds me of a heavy mahogany desk. The collation was good with a minimum of dinged corners. Each pack had a rookie in it, good, but the set is full of lackluster rookies. I swear, the found some of these guys at pickup games, high school tryouts, and college tryouts, took their picture, put them in the set and hoped no one would notice.
The base Favre and a Random Rookie
Photobucket
As I have said before, the Donruss/Playoff products run together and have little if any differentiation. They have no color to them that makes the team identifiable. Contrast that with Topps sets. All of the popular Topps sets have a different look depending on the team. Maybe that is why I am indifferent to the 07 Topps Football, but like the 81-88 sets. The 2006-07 Topps Basketball also has a team specific coloring and I really like those. I also have to agree that the full bleed cards don't really do much for me. Anyway, seems to me that the full bleed cards over the past 20 years have been relegated to below junk status in most cases, whereas people still collect the bordered Topps sets.

If Donruss wanted to do something cool, they could have taken their 2008 Threads Football and tinted the card background to the team colors. This could have presented them with yet another variation opportunity. Could you imagine having an AD with a purple tint next to one with a yellow or gold tint? Anybody? Ok.

Like other Donruss/Playoff products, this one has a ton of parallels. By the pack it looks like there are 5-6 parallels. These are X-tra Points: They come in Gold, Red, Purple, Green, and rookies come in light blue. The Gaines Adams is /999
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

There a number of inserts, one of which I actually like. I got these Steve Smith's in the same pack.
Photobucket
The blue draft is perfect for an auto on the bottom.
Other inserts: These look like they could come from any DP set over the last couple of years. None of them were serialed
Photobucket

The HIT! or as I call it: the hit? Jake Dellhome. At least his is a skill player and the swatch is all silky and shiny
Photobucket

There you have it. I think this is a pretty good indication of what a retail box of these gets you. In a word: Not a whole Hell of a lot. $72 at retail? Really? Donruss, Really? I will happilly add these to my collection and they are safely in plastic sheets, but these are filler at best. There isnt a whole lot of value here because the base set is so bland and dark. The photography looks like they robbed a fan of his 2 MP digital camera that didn't have an image stabalizer. Frankly, if you see these at a shop and they run $5-$10, think twice about buying them unless you are really stoked about adding more run of the mill base 16th year Favre, 10th year mannings, and a host of hopeless rookies, strike that, don't you have to actually play to be considered a "rookie"?

No comments: