About Me

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Card Survey

Some guy sent out a survey on card collecting. Apparently he is writing a report on this sort of thing. I think he should add an education, dollars spent per month, which sports you collect, availablility in your area and those type of catagories.


One thing I forgot in the survey. Stop making so many damn sets!. Topps needs to make Base Bowman and topps, Chrome of 1 not both, Finest (note, thats why they call it finest is that its supposed to be your finest), and then maybe a super high end that comes in a giant box with an auto ball, auto's cards, maybe auto pictures. It would be a grab bag of high end shit. Right now, Letterman sucks, Sterling sucks, and no body cares about your 50 other sets.

Sports Card Collector Survey

Age: 32

Gender: M

Race/Ethnicity: From the land of Caucasia

How long have you been collecting cards? 25 years

Why did you start collecting? 1983 Update: I, as many of you will agree, am an idiot. I thought it said when, it asks Why. I loved baseball, watched every game I could. I started playing playing T-Ball and my dad, who collected cards as a kid, stopped by the store and got me a few packs of 83 topps. It all started there. I liked that I could have pictures of the players I saw on TV. Simple but true. That continued into 84, 85 and so on. I didn't collect, nor watch football, at the time. There was a store in Brookings that, as I discovered, carried every brand and yielded my only two packs of 84 Donruss. At the time, I had no idea why there were times of the year I couldn't find BB cards, so I looked and looked, and whenver I found them, I bought them. I was a full on collector by 85 and finally figured out release schedules and such. Although I was shocked to find 86 Topps rack packs in Toys R Us in February. I had no idea if they were Topps or what because they were so different than the 83-85 cards

What types of cards do you primarily collect (favorite team, favorite player, game used, autos, vintage, rookies, etc.)? Game used, autos, vintage, rookies, graded of the previous.

Do you think that baseball cards are overpriced? (packs) Pricing is relative. But yes, in general, they are too much. Example. A pack of cards at Target is $2-$4. What do you get? .30 worth of cards, maybe a $1.00. Back in 1987 packs were .35 or so. 15-17 cards in a pack. Commons would sell for .05 to .35 depending on what level of common they were. Its sounds like an oxymoron, but .35 cards were not considered stars, they were just higher priced commons. For example a 1987 Andre Dawson was a common, although he was a star, and he sold for .20-.35. Well 15-17 cards, if you got a pack of commons which happens as often now as it did then, at .05 a card was still .85 if you were trading or selling. Now 10 cards per pack, commons are .05 - .10 maybe. Lots can be had for nothing. Base Stars rarely go for more than $.50 or $1.00 so for $2-$4, you might be seeing a value around the .50- $1.25 mark, maybe, big maybe. Many of those cards don't sell.

In high end, or what i consider to be high end, $10-$250 a pack. In the $10 per pack you are getting maybe $3-$4 worth of cards, maybe. Those packs often come with a jersey or auto per pack, some don't. If they do most or those jerseys and autos are worth a couple of dollars. You can get big hits, but often you do not. In the packs that are $40-$80, its the same thing, you get a jersey or auto that is worthless or maybe a $5-$10 maybe as much as $20-$30. At best you break even, at worst you overpaid by $50. Yes $50. Go through some of my box breaks and compare ebay values for the hits to what those boxes sell for. Iamjoecollector.blogspot.com

Many would say that the point of opening packs is the fun, I can't say that has been the purpose for many years. Plus, why pay four time as much for a pack as you can just buy the cards for anyway?

Do you think that one of the objectives of retail products should be to attract new collectors? I do think that and that's what blaster boxes do. They are difficult to search. I have heard people weigh them to determine what is in them? But these need to be in the $5 to $10 range. Mid to high end products have no business being offered in blaster form. Here is why. A blaster of mid range costs $15-$20. You get nothing but base cards and maybe a junk auto or jersey, but the odds are against you on that too. The base cards are worthless because the higher end the product the smaller the set is, thus it is easy to complete a set. Plus people on ebay that are busting cases upon cases of this stuff, see the base sets as being a scurge and are giving the stuff away. For example, my 2006-07 SP authentic case yielded 14 complete sets. Let's just say I wasn't after the base cards. Thus the complete set of the base cards of mid to high end are available for $5-$10 so why buy retail packs at that cost.

Five pack and ten pack blasters of low end should be in retail and sell for $5 to $10. Packs have disappeared from everywhere but Target and Walmart. My best memories are of my dad stopping by the convenience store, picking up a pack or three for a couple bucks and bringing them home. This is a dead practice and needs to be reversed. Maybe Topps, Fleer, Upper Deck and donruss needs to go to a 5 card, store pack that is sold for $.40-.60. Put them with the candy or on the counter like they used to be. That would help collecting. These could even be a loss leader for them just to ge people interested.

Do you think that current retail products are accomplishing this goal? Why or why not? No for the reasons above. Retail packs are too expensive, see some of my retail box breaks. $72 for a retail box? For what I have pulled? No Way.

Do you think that a high quality, inexpensive, and widely available retail product could get more people into collecting sports cards and force other manufacturers to raise the quality of their retail products?

Topps and UD try to make their base sets too high quality. No need for the high gloss, foil stamping, UV coated, holographically enhanced madness. Grey brown cardboard base cards work just fine for me. 2006 and 20075'2 Topps rookies without the autos are excellent. Just make a base set like that five cards a pack. Make the set 396 cards, couple of boxes to make a set. $1 a pack and I am there.

In your opinion, what are the necessary elements of a high quality retail product? No Junk hits and autos. I hate getting a jersey or auto of a guy that no one knows or worse yet has as many minutes on the court or field this year than I do.

Every GU must be Game used not event used. The cards have to come out of the pack mint. I hate getting a nice card and seeing chipping, edge wear, bent corner, machine damage, off center. See my Donruss box breaks.

Make it impossible to search packs!

Hope this helps

Jeff

IamJoecollector.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Dave said...

Pretty sweet analysis. I completely agree with your description of pack-buying. If you're after base cards, it makes about 0% sense to rip through packs.

I too wonder about a more value-based product. Cheaper cards, fewer hits (or no hits), expanded rosters, lower price point. Something kind of like Topps Total, but maybe even a cleaner, more consistent design. Something that looks classic, but doesn't cost a lot to produce (as you said, no gloss, then stock, brown backs, etc.)

They could even do a set like that with current players (40 man rosters) and legends. Maybe expand the checklist to 60-70 players per team, then include 1-2 subset cards of current superstars.

It'd be a massive set, one that pack collectors might go after.

Dave said...

then stock=thin stock

Dave said...

pack collectors? = set collectors

Maybe I should proofread before submitting!