About Me

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces Football Box 1 of 3

When I first saw the football version of Masterpieces I was immediately hooked. In contrast, I wasn't a huge fan of the baseball version. With baseball it was the pedestrian hits and the high price tag. Rookies are a dime a dozen in baseball and most of them toil in the minors for years. Generally, with baseball a 5 year career means you were a scrub, in football it means you made it. Thus, with Football releases you are most likely going to get a ton of good prospects.

I was able to find a few baseball boxes pretty cheap so that's why I ended up with them.

Checklist: 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces Football

On to the football. I paid $55 a box for these shipped on average. 12 packs/6 cards/2 jersey/1 auto/1 time warp/2 painted rookies

The base set: The style hasn't changed from the baseball 07-08. Painting on the front, same painting on the back. The base set is numbered 1-90. I got 2 doubles with this box, so collation was pretty good:
Photobucket
The classic players are the best. Not sure why that is. Maybe because they don't look so "finished" The uniforms weren't as fitted, the players looked more like regular people.

The Painted Rookies: These are numbered 101-110 and fall 2 per box. I only got one in this box. Not really sure what the point of these are, but it would be nice if these fell 3-4 per box instead of two. Then it might be possible to complete a set:
Photobucket

Time Warp: These are one per box and are numbered 91-99. Again, it would be nice to have these 3-4 per box. They feature a current star with a past star painted into the same play or scene:
Photobucket

Framed cards:
These are pretty cool and come in a variety of framed colors. Too many if you ask me. The black Red and green would be more than enough:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Red parallel /199:
Photobucket
Sweet Jonathan Stewart /75
Photobucket
Tom Brady /50
Photobucket

The Jerseys: Malcolm Kelly and Anquan Bolden. The jersey on the Kelly doesn't go all the way over to the left edge.
Photobucket

The auto: Leodis McKelvin
At first I had no idea who this guy is, but he appears to be a regular in Buffalo with a couple Int's a TD and quite a few tackles:
Photobucket

Overall I am happy with this box, the Stewart /75 and the Sweetness /199 were enough to make this box a winner.

2 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

I've liked these for awhile... I may pick up a box soon.
But then again, I'll probably get distracted by something else...

stusigpi said...

I have a feeling these are going to remain popular but prices should settle at the $40-$50 range. Opening a box makes you want to open 4-5 more, so be warned.