About Me

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Centerpiece of my collection Part 1

Edit: In case anyone doesn't get it, the centerpiece is not what is inside the box, its the box itself.

As I have said before, in 1983 I started collecting cards. My dad had collected cards as a kid, but sadly they went the way of many collections in those days. My cards have been luckier.

In 1984 or 1985, I asked my grandpa to build me a wood box that opened like a "book". Well Grandpa came through. I kept all of my cards in this book, 83, 84, and 85 topps. I soon outgrew it as it would no longer hold my growing collection.

Here it is:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
In 1984-85 wonder bread included cards of bands in their loaves. My mom used to buy them by the gross from the outlet store when they wer .28 a loaf and freeze them so they would stay good.
Photobucket
In 1986 Topps came out with a league leaders set. They are mini in size and around this time, the 1975 minis were huge. I was also a big set collector back then:
Photobucket
A random Eugene Emeralds team set. Not sure what year this is:
Photobucket
An Upper Deck Redemption set. I recall sending in for a ton of redemptions from UD back then and got very few back.
Photobucket

All of those sets are complete traded sets. I would buy them every year, or get them for christmas. The other sets are those Kaybee, Toys R Us, Wallgreens, and other retailer sets. I thought those were going to be worth millions. The other centerpiece of my collection comes later.

1 comment:

Jared said...

You were one lucky kid...I would have loved to have a custom box like that!