About Me

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Thoughts on Prime Cuts

Nothing in this post should be construed as me not wanting the cards discussed or anything negative. These are awesome cards and any collector, including me, would be happy to have them.

After seeing the Monster Hit on the Prime Cuts group break at SCU and noticing that it was /25, it got me thinking as to the long term viability of these cards on the secondary market. In my opinion Prime cuts is far superior to Triple Crap and Topps Sterling. Prime cuts goes for $200 a pack/box on the bay, less a week or two ago.

It is lousy with great cards:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

If someone would have shown me these cards twenty years ago, I might have keeled over on the spot. Anyway, the only other thing lousy about these cards is their resale value on ebay given the cost of the box. Best case scenario, you get that 1/1 Thorpe or the Ruth auto. Then what? You sell it for a mere 4-5 times the cost of the pack. What happens if you get that Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Lou Boudreau triple jersey /25. That to me is killer card, but then you look at the ebay auction. I'll save you the suspense, $61.02. Less than 1/3 the cost of a box/pack nets you that card. Really? That's not all. Check out these auctions here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Yes, that Paige did go for more than the cost of a box, but it seems to me that you can buy 2 cases worth of hits for much less than the cost of a case. Don't get me wrong, each of these cards is a case hit in Baseball Threads, but has Prime Cuts demolished the super high end hobby? Even though each of the triple jersey cards are /25, I would imagine that there are literally 500-1000 each of Williams, Robinson, and others in this product.

I ask that question in all seriousness, as what is left that is not offered in Prime Cuts? Mantle maybe? Frankly, there are thousands of Mantle autos on the market, Prime Cuts offers everything that has not been previously available. Sure there are exceptions. There is no way that with as high end as this product is that Ripken should be a sticker auto. Some players with failing health I can see, but Eddie Murray?

I don't have any answers, I want to know: Where does the hobby go from here?

No comments: