About Me

Friday, January 30, 2009

2008-09 Topps Treasury Box Break Review

Here is the break from my Beckett Box. Hey guys, thanks for the box. I appreciate it.

As I said in my last post, I have wanted to bust this stuff for a while. I had looked at buying a few boxes of these but the prices just hadn't come down. Da Cardworld has these for $102 a box and they run $60-75 on the bay. This set was mocked for being a lottery where topps put cash in rip cards up to $1000 bills.

1 box/18 packs/5 cards/1 auto/1 rip box - 120 cards in the set.

The base set: I got 62 veterans, 6 retired and 11 rookies. 65.8% of the set.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Note the chipping on the bottom of the back of the card. It looks much worse in person. The corners also show wear with a bit of white peaking through. The card stock is a bit thin. I like the base set a lot. The design is good and the cards look good too. The quality control is a bit crappy.

I didn't get any doubles. The collation was excellent. I received stars and good rookies. Here are some of those rookies:
Photobucket

Refractors:
/999
Photobucket
/2008
Photobucket
/199
Photobucket
The refractors had no damage or defects of any kind.

The Rip Card: This is my first rip card and I ripped it because I wanted to give a full review. In addition, the surface had some defects on it. I tried to get a pic of the defects but couldn't quite get there. These are 1 per box:
This is what came in the pack:
Photobucket
This is the rip card /299:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Here is what came in it:
Photobucket
Photobucket

The auto: These are not serialed. In addition, note the scratch on the card that I have crudely circled. The sticker is inset in the card and I like it better than just slapping a sticker on the card. The sticker did seem to have a bit of a bubble.
Photobucket

I really appreciate Beckett sending me this box. It probably didn't cost them anything to do so other than the shipping, but this is a sweet prize.

Having said that, I would be doing my readers a disservice if I didn't say the following: These boxes aren't worth anywhere close to the $60 you can get them for on ebay and I love you DA, but good god that's a high price. These are similar to Chrome, with regular base cards instead of them all being chrome. You get the refractors, the auto, and a rip card.

Topps, you and I need to Confab. I like your products. You and I go way way back. 26 years now, but your card quality is crap. These cards come on flimsy stock. If you would have put them on Cardboard, you would be money. The design is good, but the chipping?? The worn corners? Much like your 2007 Topps products, great design but the cards do not hold up well. I don't know how much extra it costs to use cardboard, but you need to in order to pull off the designs namely the dark colors on the boarders. If you use white boarders then the damage doesn't show up.

No comments: