About Me

Monday, January 12, 2009

Card Shop Thoughts: To Beckett or not to Beckett

that is the question. I knew I was going to have to ask this question eventually. UGH! Here it goes. Do I stock Beckett or no. Do I even have a copy in my shop for reference for customers?

I don't use Beckett, nor do many of my readers. However there are some that do. This question is not a popularity contest. Its not a question of whether I or you like it. It is a question of: Given that many collectors use Beckett and swear by it, should I stock it in my shop? This is purely a business decision.

I am thinking that I should: First, I may make some money off sales. It might drive extra traffic and thus add on sales once the person comes into buy it. Second, it might help me sell singles because I plan to sell well below beckett for every card. In fact I am planning on advertising that I sell at the 30 day average of Ebay on most every card. Novel thought huh? When a person compares Beckett value to my prices, they may see it as a good deal. Rather than having one case of generic hits that are priced at 50% of beckett. Third, as much as it pains me to say, it may add some "credibility" to my shop.

As a card shop owner, would you stock Beckett. Why or why not? If no, would you keep at least a reference copy for customers to check out?

I think this is a fair question and relevant to the business environment.

8 comments:

RWH said...

I'm not sure I see a downside in carrying it. If people want to buy them, then your shop would seem to be the place they would go to buy them. Just because you don't like or use the magazine doesn't mean you shouldn't have it on hand for those who do. It's not as if you won't stock boxes of products that you don't want to open, but that other people want to buy from you.

Captain Canuck said...

Yes you should. As much as it pains me to say it... however I think you should only sell them. The two local shops here have them sealed in plastic and they are for sale. no reference copies. (of course, they sell their singles a lot higher than "high" Beckett, but that's another story...)
There is a place for Beckett. it can show how low your prices are... and it's a great checklist tool for set builders.

thehamiltonian said...

I've never been in a card shop that didn't stock Beckett. Whether a collector uses them or not is up to them, but it is a part of the hobby. Ignoring the pricing, they have the ads for upcoming products, rudimentary checklists, sample box breaks (loaded or otherwise), etc.

Lots of collectors don't spend a ton of time on the internet gathering all this info for themselves - Beckett is important for them.

Dave - Fielder's Choice said...

You should sell it. If you can make money from the sales, then why not? And when customers buy it or ask about it, you can take that opportunity to educate them on how meaningless Beckett is in today's hobby.

By the way, I think it's awesome that you're planning to open a card shop and that you're blogging about it.

zips_99 said...

You should carry it, there are still those out there that use Beckett as a guide. Keep in mind that not everyone who collects uses the internet as a means to research, locate, and purchase things.

Andrew said...

Sell Beckett. Like you said it can generate more revenue to your bottom line.

Plus, it's still Beckett. Whether or not we all agree on it, they are still a huge force in this hobby. It will give your store more credibility, whether or not you use it.

And like you said, your store's prices will look like a bargain compared to BV.

Maybe carry around 10 issues the first few months, and once people become acquainted to your prices you could eventually ween out the magazine all together once the buyers realize that Ebay is the new price guide.

AdamE said...

I would also keep a Beckett Almanac for referance. Never know what someone is going to bring in to you.

timrooks said...

Speaking as a customer, I would be much more likely to visit a store if I knew that I could buy a Beckett there. I would be even more likely if I also knew that a store copy of a current Beckett would be available for reference while I shopped. If your goal as a shop owner is to provide product at a fair price along with service that makes it worth the trip, I think Beckett helps you on both sides of that equation.