About Me

Sunday, March 29, 2009

2008-09 Topps T-51 Murad Box 1 of 12

Box 1 of 12

I paid $645 for the case. That's $53.75 a box, shipped.

Leading off the case. 24 packs/6 cards. 1 auto and 1 jersey a box.
odds:
sp's 1:3 cards 201-230. I didn't find these to be SP's at all as I got 5 of each. Lebron is one of them.

Rookie variation 1:6 Some of these I got 4-5 of some and 1-2 of others.

Murad SP mini: 1:12 I got 3-4 LeBron's

Mini Rookie Variation 1:18

Mini Black Border Parallel 1:12 These are not black bordered like the Allen and Ginter. The ink of the lines is black. At least I am pretty sure that's what these are because I didn't get any with black "borders".

Murad Coupon: 1:3623. I didn't get one of these. These were found in the original set and if you collected the coupons from the cigarettes you got a listed card of one of the listed individuals. I imagine this might be the same now. I have yet to see one show up on Ebay. Here is an auction of an original.

Framed Silks: 1:34 I got quite a few of these

Leathers 1:737 None

Press Plates 1:184

Autos
Group A Magic, Bird Russell: 1:2300
Group B 1:141. I demolished, well beat, the odds
Group C 1:67
Group D 1:99

Parallel Autos: These are kind of stupid
Black: 1:156
Silver: 1:389
Leather: 1:3700

Relics:
1:36
Black: 1:89
silver: 1:455
Leather: 1:3700

The Base Set: I didn't get any doubles. I like the base set a lot although it is difficult to tell who the player is sometimes. Quality control was good. I found the backs of the cards to be generic in a good way. White back with a purplish tint to the printing. There are rookie variations and SP's are numbered 201-230.
Photobucket
Photobucket

The minis: Unlike my Allen and Ginter case, the minis were in great condition. These minis are slightly larger with only one parallel set and none of those additional sharks, world leaders, horses, ships and other crap that Mayo and Allen and Ginter have. It would be nice if these were two per pack.

The silks: These are /25 and an interesting insert. Very difficult to tell who the player is. In addition, these cards are slightly thicker and require a 100 pt toploader. The autos and jerseys fit into a 75 pt toploader.
Rasheed Wallace
Photobucket

The Jerseys:
Photobucket
These look nice and I actually like the mini encased format that Murad, Mayo and Allen and Ginter have. In one of my later boxes, Topps is up to some Relic shenanigans. I won't tell you what it is, but I was sorely dissappointed.

The Auto:
Photobucket

Yep, these are stickers. I can tolerate these because of the encasement, but this is an expensive product to be using stickers especially given the small checklist.
Who is that you ask? Yeah, it doesnt matter. It's Mike Miller by the way.

10 comments:

Groat said...

Honestly, I can't decide wether or not I like these cards. I'm not a basketball guy so it doesn't really matter too much, but the base design just seems too... something for me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

stusigpi said...

Almost like they are trying too hard? I think that Topps should have broke from the originals and put the name on the front of the card.

JoshSamBob said...

Interesting. Looking forward to the rest.

Any likelihood you'd deal some of the Celtics "hits" from here (Autos or Silk, really)?

Thanks.

stusigpi said...

When I get done posting all of the boxes, let me know what you are interested in.

RoofGod said...

I'm not overly impressed with this set so far but seeing more of what you pull though might sway me. By the way the silk card is Rasheed right?

stusigpi said...

Roof

That is Rasheed. I can understand why it doesn't blow some people away, but I think the boxes are a good value at $54. I'm not sure what else is out there Basketball wise for this price. The hits are nice, even the not so hot ones.

RoofGod said...

Let me clarify, I wasn't underwhelmed by the cost/value of Murad but by the actual look and design of the cards.

stusigpi said...

I recognized that, my point was, from a basketball stand point we basketball collectors don't have much these days.

michele thomas said...

I have 16 of 25 which is Orlando if anyone is interested. I can send pics .

michele thomas said...

I have 16 of 25 which is Orlando if anyone is interested. I can send pics .