About Me

Saturday, March 28, 2009

2008-09 Topps T-51 Murad Case - First Impressions

My case arrived on Tuesday late afternoon and was ripped by 9.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Some boxes were very good, others absolutely sucked. Topps promises 1 auto and 1 jersey per box. Not on average, it is a guarantee. In one box I got 1 jersey, in another I got a jersey and a silk.

In one awesome box I got 2 or 3 autos. I suppose that over the case the autos averaged out, but that is not the point. One jersey and one auto per box guaranteed period. Topps will be getting a complaint letter. In fact I just sent them an email to see if I can get some satisfaction.

Base set and Collation: Collation was very good. I don't recall getting any doubles in any of the boxes and I ended up with one full set with variations and 2-3 cards short of a complete second set of variations. I will have to find a list of variations to confirm that. I like the set a lot. Very nice. The metalic looking inks and the old school appearance really work.

Quality control: Pretty good overall. In each pack you get a thick filler card that is a checklist with an action shot on the front. Many of the cards were white on the back and others had a tanning effect around the edges. Interestingly enough I received the following "variation"
Photobucket
The one on the left is the only Yao that I got with a clear back, while I got 5 of the one on the right that had a significant printing defect. The reason why I refer to it as a variation is because it was repeated over and over again. One funked up copy does not a variation make. Five on the other hand is a different story.

Here is a pic of the mini v. regular:
Photobucket

Minis: I like the minis in Murad much better than Mayo and Allen and Ginter. The design seems to lend itself to the mini much better than the others.

Box Toppers: The box toppers look silly because they are blown up versions of the regular cards. Duh you say, but the problem is they really are blown up meaning that the resolution or picture quality looks bad. I did get a /10 silver parallel. They ae 1:48 boxes.

The hits: I did very well. No Bird, Magic or Russell auto.

1 comment:

Captain Canuck said...

while I am no fan of basketball cards.. I am in awe of the awesomeness of this case.

Find any Braves????