About Me

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

2008 Topps Allen & Ginter- a comment on parallels

I will start posting box breaks of my Allen and ginter case in the next couple of days. Don't forget about the finest group case break. Remember, eveyone gets cards And with 80 refractors per case, there is a good shot at getting 2-3, as well as redemptions, and there are 16 patch/autos up for grabs. For less than a mini box you can get in on this.

One thing that is really annoying me are the minis. I don't mind the regular minis per se, but when you add the ag backs, the black borders, the bazooka backs/25, the sharks, world leaders, team orange, the NNO's, blah blah blah, the whole thing becomes very overwhelming.

I just don't get the point because it is impossible to complete a lot of those sets. This I have no incentive to try. I was even ok with the 50 sp's because the collation was good and I got a set. Topps heritage is another story. If you can't get a set out of a case then what the he'll is the point?

Topps and upper deck are both guilty. Heroes and masterpieces are an unmitigated parallel disaster. Jesus, it took me a lot of time and money to complete the green linen set. Let alone any of the serial numbered sets. What's the point of having /199, /150, /125, /100, /75, /50 and I think there were more than one /75 in masterpieces football. Maybe Steve at the sports card file can comment as to the thought prices or research that goes into including impossible to complete sets. Any ideas? Is there anyone that likes these sets?

I get the printing plates. Kind of a cool collectible.

Don't get me started on Donrini parallels.

4 comments:

FanOfReds said...

I love the minis myself. I think they are unique, and I actually find them find/challenging to chase and trade for.

I've managed to almost build a full mini-set (regular back) plus all the inserts (except a couple of Team Orange and World Icons). (I'd gladly trade for any you pull since it sounds like you don't want 'em!)

That said, I don't really get the point of both A&G backs and the regular backed minis - but I guess some people like the A&G backs better?

AdamE said...

I hate paralles that are on the back of the card. When puting my team set together I have some of each different back in my set.

Slette said...

Did you find a lot of your black minis were damaged? Also, did you by any chance pull an Andy Pettitte Bazooka back?

stusigpi said...

I pulled no none zip on the bazooka backs. A few of the blacks were slightly damaged. Not too bad, but annoying none the less.

I did however end up with a few regular ones that looked like they had been fed to a shredder or a two year old.