About Me

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Don't take this the wrong way but..

See this post.

This guy owns a comic, book, games, d and d, part time card store. I have enjoyed reading his blog after one of my readers turned me on to it. I can't remember which one, but I appreciate it because I find most of Duncan's posts to be insightful and/or funny. He missed the boat on this one.

Note the following:

He could only come up with two in Portland.

So that kind of confirmed what I've been feeling: cards in Oregon are all but dead.

So....like I always thought would happen, I was there at the beginning; when you could only find a few dusty packs at Safeway; and I'm here at the end, when you can only find a bunch of regurgitated, recycled crap at Shopko.

I stuck with cards out of sheer cussedness, because I wanted to see this day.

So I could, in fact, say "I told you so."

As you can see from the comments, I was able to name 5 without even searching on the internet. How can a guy loosely in the business that operates in a state the size Oregon have no idea how many competitors he has? Then he declares cards dead?

Duncan has been in business an awful long time, but I think his views are a bit off because he is a book guy. In other words, he doesn't know jack about cards. In fact he was unaware that Donruss was bought by Panini. Really? He claims to speak authoritatively about cards?

It seems from reading his posts that cards were a side product for him. When you couldn't help but make money in cards 85-98, he did. When it came time for the shop owners to have some knowledge about cards to make money, his business faultered. After doing the projections for my shop, and reviewing my ordering options, it became apparent to me that anyone that orders from places like "The Magazine Exchange" is giving away cash.

Blowout, DA, Atlanta, Big T and PGH have much better prices than the traditional shop suppliers. I could be wrong, but I have seen some price lists that still show 2008 Masterpieces Baseball at $55 a box, when you can get them for $40 a box at Big T or Blowout and less by the case. Thus any shop that buys their stock from anywhere but the internet sellers has no idea what they are doing and knows nothing of the industry. Something tells me these are the guys that love Beckett and list their cards on Ebay as 1/1's with a BIN of $100 because the card is 13/1000 and that's the player's jersey number.

I have been in stores with owners like him before. Any question that requires more than cursory knowledge of cards is a lost cause. Talking shop is a waste. Rarely do I see card guys that try their hand at comics because it is damn near impossible to be successful at. Yet Comic guys do cards all the time.

I was a big comic collector for a few years and the grading is so different. Well Duh right. No. I bought my dad a couple Beatles comics that I had graded by CGC. Before I sent them off I tried my hand using the Overstreet grading guide and came up with a 6.5 on one. It came back as a 4.5. This was after I had been collecting for 8 years. I don't have cards graded but I do have quite a few that are. To test myself, I was within a half a grade on almost every one. Sometimes over sometime under. I would never venture to have a comic shop. My knowledge of pre 80 comics is almost zilch.

When you consider all of the publishers, variants, cross overs, reboots, titles and so forth, it takes a while to get up to speed. Just reading a price guide or two doesn't cover it.

My point is, Duncan, a book, games, comics guy that has no real knowledge of cards declared cards in Oregon dead. Based upon my observations, Cards in Oregon are not dead even if the shops and their business is. Maybe the wrong people are running the shops?

4 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

give 'em hell Jeff, show 'em how it's done!

(just remember your free shipping specials to Canada)

grant said...

Well I'm still around and what exactly did he mean by cards are dead in Oregon VS. any other state. I watched a shop here in Vancouver close simply becuase it was an old school shop that did'nt use toays information to get the correct inventory at the right prices. I also can go over to a shop in portland and spend on average anywhere from $30-60 more per box thten at blow out cards! insane right. All I see are costomers rigning in thier 80's cards to sell? I don't think cards are dead in Oregon and I think the trend of shops is a nation wide thing. If a shop s charging up to 50% above what you can get a box of 07/8 draft picks basketball I'm not going to demand that product and he's going to have a bunch of stale boxes unlesss a clue less customer comes in and gets robbed. Cards will never be dead dealers without common sense or knowledge of a business will be( financially wise). Grant

grant said...

on the flip side if you cabn get a hobby box and come close to a internet site when you factor in the shipping wait time ETC.. having them in your hand! then I'll be mre then happy to support my local shops but for me driving to Beaverton to get a hobby box just isn't worth finding out that I'm getting over charged most of the time on a lot of the products. Grant

Bay Rat North West said...

This post is so true. I tried a new shop I found about 20 miles from my place. Huge board game, comics, d and d type place. With cards in the back. I asked to see his team binders. He hands me 6 binders. Leaves all the others on the shelf. Walks off. I ask to see the others. He tells me they are empty when you can see they are not. I hand him a stack of about 100 commons I picked out. "These are all GREAT cards. I can let you have them for 60¢ each." I asked him how a 2003 Topps card of Sean Casey was worth that. "It's a great card! Mint! Sharp corners!"
I left the stack in his hands and walked out. Either he had no clue about what he had or did not care. Either way I will not be going back.