About Me

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Why I Blog

There are a number of reasons.

I like reviewing sets that I do box breaks of.

My job is stressful as hell and it is a nice distraction

The blogging community

The group breaks

Sharing with and getting information from readers.

Where are my sponsorships? Just kidding. Actually no, I was hoping to get one with this blog, still coming up empty.

and now, the rest of the story.

I have collected cards for 26 years now and to be honest I long for the days of TFD and one set of each. Everyone in my family collects something, I think its in our blood.

Some of you saw my post back on March 6th where I was giving up on collecting and my blog. Here is what happened. It was a Friday night and I had gone to my parents house for my birthday dinner. My brother's birthday is the day after mine. He is older by almost 6 years. Him and I have taken divergent paths in our lives. He got into drugs and general stupidity and I had my cards and baseball.

Through the years he was loosely connected with my collecting. I still remember in 1985 I was in an albertsons at the Springfield mall. I was picking up a couple packs of 85 topps baseball and he wanted a couple of packs too. He put them in his back pocket and started to walk out of the store. He thought I had already paid for them but I hadn't. I told him before he left the store and I paid for them and we went on our way. I don't think he had an interest in collecting but he wanted to be involved in something I was interested in.

In 1990, he bought a box of Donruss from Fred Meyer, I still have the 800ct box with his cards in them. He would buy me boxes of cards for my birthday and christmas here and there.

This year, he wanted to buy me a box of series 1 topps. He doesnt really know anything about cards and so he had my dad bid on a box that the title was "2009 topps series 1 retail jumbo box". The seller is a total crook as these are just 24 pack retail boxes. My dad thought he was getting an actual Jumbo box as they were in the 80's and 90's well and even today for that matter. He paid $57 for it. Way too much I know.

My brother was really upset about it as he thought he got ripped off. No big deal I told him as I appreciated that he would think to buy me a box of cards. I tried to tell him that hobby boxes are more expensive than that (they were at the time). He was hung up on the odds of the autos/jerseys hobby vs. retail. Anyway, he became very agitated and we got into a huge fight about it. Really stupid that we were fighting over cards.

I kept telling him that it wasnt a big deal because I was just happy to get the box. The thing with people that have been drug addicts is that they loose the ability to reason, become easily agitated, etc. Drugs really do screw people up, don't let anyone tell you different. Pot makes you lazy.

Anyway, that's what happened. Things still aren't resolved, in fact we haven't spoken to each other since. I stayed away from the blog for a while, I didn't want to have anything to do with it. I blamed a crooked seller, the silly state of the hobby but I didn't blame what I should have.

Justin had emailed me and said that he wanted to take it over, but I haven't heard from him in quite a while. Not sure what happened.

During my time away even though it was a couple of days, I realized how much I really enjoy the blog, the comments from my readers, and posting. The box breaks are fun. Of course they cost a fortune. I was buying a box or two a day back in October and November. Finest, Masterpieces, whatever. You will notice my box breaks have slowed down quite a bit. That's because I have spent 2800 on taxes and 2900 on my sister in the last month. Thats why I am taking a crack at these group breaks because I get to have all the fun at very little cost.

The one thing that remains is how much I enjoy my blog and my readers. Hopefully you all find it as intersting as I do.

3 comments:

Ross said...

Always wondered what that was all about back then. Good story - thanks for sharing.

night owl said...

Yes, thanks for filling in the blanks.

Good story. Hope you keep going.

Pop Startled said...

Thanks for sharing that story. I enjoy the blog, please keep at it.