About Me

Thursday, July 23, 2009

More box price complaining

I realize that blowout and DA have sales and the prices are eventually going to go up, but box prices have been swinging wildly in the last month. 2008 masterpieces baseball is perhaps one of the worst breaks out there at retail price. You get 1 auto and 1 jersey per box. The product is littered with crappy autos and single color jerseys. There are 2 patches per case with the chance of an auto. The set is pretty easy to build and singles are cheap on the bay, yet I have seen prices as low as $35 and as high as $60 in the last couple of weeks. Was there a run on Masterpieces that I was not aware of? I commented on Finest Baseball prices previously.

For the group break I did, I paid $625 for the case, less than $80 a box. Now they are upward of $100 each shipped. 1 redemption that will be worthless in a year and two manu patch autos that will probably suffer the same fate. Refractors are nice but again cheap in lots. I am not aware of any stellar hits that are available. At least masterpieces has hard signed Jeter and Ripken patch autos /25. Finest does have some finest moments sticker autos, Yay!, not so much.

Prime cuts are hovering around the $260 area. I can tell you that there is no way these are worth that price. Many of the box toppers are selling for $30-$80 and it seems that the collecting world has grown tired of useless rookie sticker autos. There are some massive hits to be had, but even Gehrig brings half the price back.

Am I just that clueless?

3 comments:

Box Opener said...

Yea, tell me about it. I've be waiting to see the finest baseball cases go lower. They had them for about $70 a box, but I thought they'd go lower, so I waited. But they've been steadily creeping up across the board. One guy goes up online and all of them do. $107 is just ridiculous I can get it for about $90 at the local card shop and that's just as ridiculous

Motherscratcher said...

I'm really suprised that the Finest price is climbing. I can't really explain it.

The Masterpieces box is a fun break for $35 but I wouldn't pay close to $60.

Box Opener said...

I think they might have produced less of the finest baseball than originally planned. The sell sheet for it says they were going to produced the red refractor finest moments autos numbered to 75, but they ended up being numbered to 25...that coupled with the spike in prices leads me to believe supply of finest baseball is drying up.