About Me

Monday, September 14, 2009

Case hits on the cheap or not

I have talked about the art of the group break. In my opinion the key is to figure out the teams that have the most possible hits. Sometimes the Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco is pulled, but rarely. For the Falcons and Ravens, who do you have. Whereas any of old school teams have tons of players.

I apply the same theory to busting boxes. For example, there are 8 or so rookie patches per case in 2008 SP authentic Football. 12 boxes a case. I'm going to say there are 2-3 "case hits". My point is, I have a great shot at getting a lot of nice patches and possibly a case hit for half the price of the case. If you buy 1-2 boxes you essentially have no shot, but half the case and you might walk away with all of the case hits.

Another example, masterpieces football. 2 red patches 2 red autos. Other than the great masterpieces case disaster of 2009 I have pulled 2 patches myself (JD Booty in December out of 2 boxes and EDIII out of 3 boxes in January) and no red autos. Provided the boxes follow some sort of collation, I have a real shot at all four case hits, or none.

Or I could just buy the case hits off of ebay. Make no mistake, I am dropping $540 on the half case of sp authentic and $328 on the masterpieces.

Comment:
Captain Canuck said...
assuming of course you have a seller of boxes that is trustworthy. That eliminates ebay. How many boxes of high end product are sold out of a case where the hit(s) are already pulled?
September 14, 2009 6:42 PM

stusigpi said...
That's an excellent point. There are 2-3 sellers that I would do this with. DA, Blowout, Atlanta. I'm not saying the others aren't trustworthy, but these I can assure you are on the up and up.

The above is of course always an issue, especially with exquisite.

2 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

assuming of course you have a seller of boxes that is trustworthy. That eliminates ebay. How many boxes of high end product are sold out of a case where the hit(s) are already pulled?

stusigpi said...

That's an excellent point. There are 2-3 sellers that I would do this with. DA, Blowout, Atlanta. I'm not saying the others aren't trustworthy, but these I can assure you are on the up and up.