About Me

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Is the Sticker Auto Dead?

or just on life support. As many of you know, I don't buy high end singles. Mainly because there is no chase to it. This post isn't about bashing sticker autos per se. I know why Topps, Panini and UD use, but how much longer is it going to be viable on high end cards or any card for that matter.

Why anyone would drop more than a few bucks on a sticker auto befuddles me when there are hard signed cards to be had. Those are truly the crown jewels. As I have said before Exquisite, SPA, Rookie Premier, etc are the top of the list.

I'll just get to the point. With all the chaos that is being caused by fake autos on authentic stickers, is the Sticker auto dead? Gelman points out the cleaned and remade blue to red ink auto transformation. This would not be possible with hard signed cards, however we are still stuck with fake Rookie Premier autos. Why anyone would buy the card removed from its Topps holder is beyond me.

As I have said, maybe an invisible ink that is rolled onto the card after it is done that is visible with black light. That way if things don't match up it will be easy to tell.

As long as there are collecting morons out there the sticker auto will survive. However, to me, the sticker auto is dead. The collecting world would be better off without it too. Topps, Panini, and UD would also shorten up that scrub checklist too. Too expensive to send out those cards to everyone.

2 comments:

paulsrandomstuff said...

It's just as easy to remove an autograph from a glossy-coated card as it is a sticker.

Also, the push for hand-signed cards could very well put more "scrubs" on the checklist. As you note, it's more expensive to send out cards than stockpile stickers... that cost has got to be absorbed somewhere.

Joe S. said...

I completely agree with your sentiment on not purchasing high end singles because of a lack of any sort of chase. I realize packs and boxes can be a waste of money if all you want are the hits, but there's something fun and exciting about the possibility of a mega hit that you can't replicate on ebay. To each their own, but personally, I like finding my own hits!!

Makes my two 1/1s all the more 'priceless'...