About Me

Sunday, December 13, 2009

That's my Forte

In my quest to complete the 2008 Masterpieces Football Patch set, I have been stymied by how few of these come up for sale. That and how much some idiots want for their cards. Sorry buddy, I don't give a rats ass what book value is on that Mendenhall card. Here is how the book value works on these. The regular jersey cards are listed at a certain price then the patch cards are a multiplier. Here's the problem. On the lower tier cards the jersey cards are way overpriced. Most sell or go unsold in the 2-$5 range whereas they book for $5-$20. I often pay way less the patch than I book value for the jersey. I'm not bashing book value on these but reality is reality. Rarity aside.

On the other hand, Favre and the like do pretty well when compared to book value. Here's the difference. The ones that go for quite a bit are true 2-3 color patches that you don't often see in any set let alone a moderate priced set like Masterpieces.

One comment on rarity. These are /50 and do not sell for a whole lot. The issue with me being able to put together a set is that most of these patches are still unopened. Blowout and especially DA have tons of this stuff sitting in their stock room. Much like 2006 National Treasures. Blowout has been hawking NT cases for $999 on a regular basis and selling them quite easily. Regular prices are WAY TOO DAMN HIGH on NT and my inclination is that Donruss made tons of cases. Just do the math on the base cards. Works for and of the high end stuff. Take Exquisite for example:

2007 exquisite has a 60 card base set and they are numbered to 150. Um yeah, that's like 9000 boxes or 3000 cases. That's a lot of product to put out there in this price range. Consider that Murad was limited to 599 12 box cases. In Masterpieces case, there are 60 in the set numbered to 50 or 3000, 2 per case = 1500 cases. But I digress.

Anyway as I have been chasing the numbered parallels as well, and have noticed a lack of them. I have bought 2-3 lots of parallels that are equal to the entire case. That's why it pissed me off when I endud up with 10% of the ED III parallels. I have more than that now by the way. When building numbered sets, you have to make every box count. Not a good way to collect a set, but it can knock out a huge part of your set need.

Every once in a while one of the cards I need for my set crops up on ebay. Frankly it freaks me out because in the year since release this is the only one I have seen. Especially when it is from a team that has a huge following and a hyped rookie at that. $11 later, shipped by the way, I came away with this:



Nice multi color "event worn" patch. That leaves Fav-Ra as the only big name left on my list. Although Esteban is on their too, I don't foresee a bidding war breaking out if it does. The last Favre went for 23 and the reason I didn't get it was that my sniping software shut down for some reason.

6 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

I really need to satrt using a sniper, but I don't know of any that I don't have to download.

stusigpi said...

Biet o Matic is the best free one. The default language is German and you have to change it to English unless you read German. I have had some issues where I have had to change the server strings to Australia to get it ot work as well. But nothing beats the low low cost of free.

I don't know how much money it has saved me, but it certainly has won me some auctions i wouldn't have otherwise won.

Jeff said...

not bad, I agree a ton of masterpieces for any year/sport has yet to be opened. I'm still waiting on a patch auto of the big unit to show up one day :(

stusigpi said...

After that football case nightmare it wouldn't surprise me if they were all in one case or two or three. I have only seen 1 Randy Johnson Patch for sale. No auto though.

Matt said...

For a sniper, I recommend Gixen.

stusigpi said...

Listen you spamming douche bag, stop posting on my site. You think I don't have your IP?

Jaipur,
Rajasthan,
India Nib (national Internet Backbone) (59.95.172.24)

Stay in your shite hole and leave the rest of us alone.


eBay tools of eBay software offers said...
Really nice blog. You have posted great information, which are really useful for us.
ebay software