About Me

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Topps and Strasburg

Does anyone care? Exclusive deal, yada yada yada. Personally I think that baseball is such a bigger longshot than any other sport for any one of the top 5 picks let alone the number 1 pick, to make a difference.

As you know I am not a prospector and I think the whole thing is a big waste of time. I read the forums where guys are paying a ton for blue superfractor triple auto high school class used pencil cards from 1993 of a guy that is now a journeyman car salesman in Las Vegas. Seriously, these guys go nuts of players that are no longer playing. Kind of like going after Kenny Irons cards. Strasburg equals Van Poppel if you ask me.

By the way only 10% of the Top 20 picks from the last decade or so have been all stars

3 comments:

James said...

I completely agree with you. I don't get in to paying top $ for an unproven player.

Motherscratcher said...

I don't know, Jeff. Are you sure that the verdict is in on Van Poppel?

The Mojo Hand said...

Im one.

I don't buy my cards, however, I pull them out of packs. Speaking of Stephen Strasburg I pulled his auto out of a $35.00 box of Timeline, and he is a highly regarded prospect with a great fastball.

Only time will tell