About Me

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

You know what they say about business

It's all about collation collation collation. A long time group break participant writes;

One thing Iv'e noticed lately a lot is that like on the Prime cuts for example both hits were Jackson? and a lot of the auto's from the other boxes have been from the same team out of the same box let a lone the simply outrageous numbers of Yankee hits and cards that come out of every break. Is this a collation issue as far as the Auto's and GU'S? I know with my team good hits are pretty hard to come by so I'm not really expecting to get those. It just seems like there would a a little better mix of teams as far as auto's and the like. Just wanted to get your thoughts.

He is 100% right Prime cuts breaks have yielded 2 Joe Jacksons, 2 Joe Medwicks, and a Roger Maris. The jacksons came out of the same case as far as I know. Look no farther then this month's Sweet Spot Break to see that collation can suck. All 3 of the big hits were Dodger. Crappy collation is in the eye of the beholder. If you are a Dodger fan the SS break was awesome.

Two Joe Jacksons? What are the odds? It is unfortunate that many of you don't get the big hits from the breaks whereas others clean up on a regular basis. Yanks and Red Sox are obviously going to yield the most cards overall and on a regular basis.

So what to do? Should we have done 5 boxes of sweet spot? Obviously our odds of getting a wider variety of nice hits increases. I think Grant has an excellent point and I want to see if others have the same concerns. Here is an idea. I could make the budget closer to $600 or $24 a slot and increase the number of boxes substantially. Here is an example that would get us a box of prime cuts and 4-5 boxes of Sweet Spot. 2 boxes of Topps Unique and 3 boxes of sweet spot.

I know that many of you take part in my breaks because of the lower cost. What would you rather see? Feel free to comment or email me privately.

9 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

what about multiple sources? The prices usually do not vary that much from the big retailers (DA, Blowout, Atlanta etc...) what about one box from one source, the 2nd from another?

You get the idea...

The chances of pulling two jacksons from two different retailers from two different cases, etc....

stusigpi said...

Actually prices vary enough to make a difference. DA was at $300+ for prime cuts. I'm not sure if this is a collation issue or just a not enough boxes issue. I think its the latter.

Plus our chances of a case it are cut in half.

grant said...

I could go either way with this and thanks for bringing my comment up. I wouldn't mind the extra cost too much. obviously the red sox Yankees thing is unavoidable. I'd pay extra beings I have three teams that would substantially increase my odds, But that's just my opinion. Grant

Rod said...

No matter what there are not going to be a lot of hits for the Padres, so I would probably opt out if the price went up much.

beardy said...

A $10 price hike isn't scaring me off, especially if it means my odds of pulling a great card go up.

grant said...

well we have a second break now as well I didn't think about that so I guess we could increase our chances there. I was just more do going after the poor collation problem rather then a concern about getting the hits myself because if every two auto's GU'S and big hits are the same teams we all might lose interest eventually. Grant

Alex said...

To me the biggest problem is the small market v large market teams and old v new teams. The people who get one of these teams have a much higher chance of getting an huge hit.

The people that have teams like KC, Col, San Diego, Washington... have no chance at a great card. The potential Mantle, Ruth, Ted Williams, etc will always go to the same people.

I think the fairest way is to randomize the hits, 1 chance per spot. People could still have their teams for the base cards.

The other choice would be to make certain teams like the Yankees a premium spot and charge more money and other teams like the Royals a value spot and charge less.

Even if you don't make any changes, it is fun to be a part of a group break.

RoofGod said...

If you can keep it to around $25 I would be okay with an increase in price, provided it meant you were buying more product and not just more expensive product.

Uwa said...

While Prime Cuts is an awesome product, I dont think it is good for a full modern day break because the new teams have no shot at getting a big hit, the encased hit.