About Me

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Are fake inscriptions next

A few days back I was thumbing though my sports collectors monthly reading articles, looking at what has come out, etc when I noticed the back page full of autograph guests. There were prices for flats, balls, jerseys, bats. Some of theless greedy guys just do a one size fits all price. I think it's great that these guys are doing this, they have a lot of fans and some of them probably need the money. Sad but true. The only autograph ball I have is a Pete Rose. The Ball is special to me for reasons other than it was signed by Rose. I don't care if he is an auto whore, a man has to make money.

One of the prices I was suprised to see was an additional fee for "inscriptions". Art Shell is free for an inscription whereas Warren Moon is $25 and Jerry Rice is $79. Then I saw this auction where the number is counted as an "inscription". Oooohhh, not so sure about that pal. That begged the question, are scammers going to use cards with legitimate autos and add fake inscriptions?

Inscriptions are all the rage these days. 57 points, 18 rebounds. 2.44 GPA. You know...things like that. What keeps Burgeylicious from doing something like that?

One note on the Pete Rose auto whore. Trust me, Jordan, LeBron, those guys aren't any better. They do the same thing, its just not at a table in Vegas, or was it?

7 comments:

King Felix 4 CY said...

I was in an Ultimate group break the other day. 15 boxes, draft style. I had pick 2. Anyway, the #1 pick was a Griffey Jr auto inscribed "Seattle Son". I checked ebay and one had sold for over $300.I then proceeded to select a Mike Schmidt quad patch auto, FTW.

beardy said...

I was about to comment on those Ultimate Inscriptions as well. I've seen quite a few Markakii with JUST an auto, and no inscription. It's be pretty darned easy to just take a Sharpie to it, and sell it for 3x as much.

The Wax Wombat said...

Hopefully card companies will start adding the little inscription describer to the cards, like Press Pass does (or I think they do..)

grant said...

As far as Ultimate the amount of Griffey Auto's is insane way to many versions ( if there is such a thing with Griffey auto's)! there is another Griffey "Seattle son" inscription on Ebay going for $500 more then any other Griffey right now and the inscription is way darker and blended in with the actual auto? I'm not sure if it's legit or not for $700.00 it doesn't matter anyway I'd rather buy 7 boxes and gamble LOL! this is opening Pandora's box for fake inscriptions which will easily go for 2-4X's the standard auto. Hence the Griffey example. Overall from what I've seen I like the product. It's already bad enough that adding a players number to an auto is considered an inscription it's numbers? Seems like adding an inscription is just way to easy to do for Assholes not to start doing a lot more of a good point to bring up Jeff, I think were going to be seeing a lot more of this to come. Sad but true, Grant

grant said...

The Griffey card I mentioned was an inscription card for the record.I don't want to down a ebay seller if it's legit but $700? I don't know how to justify that price. Maybe it's just me. The Masterpiece in question is just a fn Joke again it's 2 numbers means nothing to me.

grant said...

Upper deck has an ultimate inscriptions title on that griffey card so I guess that would be the 1st thing to look for. I don't believe there are inscriptions that don't have that wording unless there fake I could be wrong. Grant

stusigpi said...

The lack of the inscription designation on the card would probably have no effect. There are plenty of cards that are supposed to have an inscription but dont and the other way around.