About Me

Friday, March 26, 2010

Comments on my reviving Upper Deck Masterpieces Piece

Find the Post Here

Here are some comments:

AdamE said...
To combat the easily faked auto make it a base card with a different back. Also make all the autos boarderd versions.

IAMJC: Adam is exactly correct.

March 26, 2010 5:47 AM

Jeff said...
A 60$ MSRP on something with autographs seeded 1:2 boxes seems not very attractive. I agree dump the jersey cards, but I don't see a point in scratching a guaranteed auto. You have to remember as nice as a new Masterpieces might be, it will still be competing against the older versions still on the market. Why pay 60$ for a 50% shot at an auto, verses buying 2 boxes from a past year for the same price and getting 2 guaranteed autographs/gameused.



You seem to be taking the set towards a Heritage type setup for set building which is fine, you know I've busted a few cases doing the sets myself, but I wouldn't chase after it without a higher ratio of autographs. I like set building but the box still has to provide some value.

You could argue the point that a rarer seeding should provide for higher quality/value autographs, but while that sounds very logical is hasn't held true for other products.

IAMJC: I agree to a point, but if MSRP is $60, we would see these at $45 and that will fit very nicely in the current product mix. Also if they have to go to 1 patch or 1 auto per box, UD should be able to hit a price point. Especially with all the rookie autos, The 2 jerseys per box added a lot of cost, and I think Upper Deck might be willig to abandon them for this release. Philly and its reception might convince upper deck that jerseys aren't always needed.

I think there would be enough appeal to set collectors that they would break this product aat this price point.

March 26, 2010 5:54 AM

Peterson said...
comprehensive, optimistic and well-rounded. Let's have the same exact makeover for baseball.and I couldn't agree more about rookies in college unis...they have whole sets for that now...

IAMJC: Too bad they can't make a baseball version anymore.

March 26, 2010 6:29 AM

Motherscratcher said...
That sounds good to me. This sounds like a really fun set to build. No matter what you are trying to do, build the base set, auto set, or a parallel set, each box you got would contribute to your endeavor.

I do think that Jeff makes a good point about not guaranteeing an auto, though. No idea what to do about that.

Different backs on the autos to cut down on fakes seems like a good idea too.

They should get a hold of Beardy to convert photos to paintings. that dude is the Pujols of photoshop.

IAMJC: Beardy already offer his design services.

March 26, 2010 8:32 AM

ryanmemorabilia said...
I would collect!

March 26, 2010 8:44 AM

Gellman said...
Just some things I have to point out in terms of realism. First off, the NFLPA requires a percentage of the set to be rookies/rookie autos. Its why there are so many scrubs in every set. If you have to have a certain percentage of rookies featured in memorabilia cards - its too expensive to just have the good ones as they charge so much for sigs. That means you would usually have to make room for rookie autos.

I know you are doing a utopian product, but realistically, it cant happen as you described, unfortunately. Although I will say that I like that you are going to take the heroes approach to autos - that is the way to do it!!

IAMJC: I think with some tweaks this is a viable product. If the set was made up of enough rookies then there would be plenty of them to meet the NFLPA requirement. With Patches and autos being done like they were in 2008, it could be done. Is there a requirement to have the Rookie jerseys in the product?

March 26, 2010 9:35 AM

The Wax Wombat said...
While I like what you have for the most part (especially the insertion rates), I just can't see UD giving up on jersey cards or single color patches. I think that's just the way things are these days.

Am I the only one that liked the Strokes of Genius as they were, design-wise?

IAMJC: You are correct that that is the way things are done these days, but it didnt work with this product. That's the point of changing is to make it viable. The Strokes of genius cards were fine and they look good, but the question is whether it adds significant costs to do the product that way.

No comments: