About Me

Friday, April 30, 2010

2009 Upper Deck Ultimate Baseball - a rant

First this is not a knock on UD, this is an $80 product.

Having said that, wtf man? So in the box last night we pulled an upton auto jersey. Here are a couple sold on Ebay. $14 bucks back on $100+ box? Really? I picked ultimate for the box breaks because of the lack of high end baseball products, but who the hell pays $150 bucks for this shit? Really? Are people that desperate to open baseball products. I suppose I cant blame Blowout, Atlanta, DA, BigT, or anyone else for jacking up prices on Ultimate.

If people are willing to pay it then they deserve exactly what they get, a BJ Upton auto jersey apparently. This product has some great hits, Williams dubious jersey patches and others including clemente. Actually we didn't do too bad on those five boxes we broke some months ago. That schmidt auto, Ozzie/Eckersley, Porcello, etc were some pretty good hits, but talk about playing the one arm bandit.

The question is, who is buying this stuff? There has been a lack of these boxes selling on ebay. In the beginning there were boxes galore, now there is 1 that is currently in auction form. I see few if any boxes being broken on Blowout. Every once in a while someone will bust a case, but those breaks have dropped off. In fact most of the youtube breaks are a month old or older.

I don't know, I refuse to break sterling for our monthly breaks. I just won't do it. Tribute? Not a chance. Maybe I need to go with boxes of 2003 retired?

6 comments:

Peterson said...

If you go 03 Retired, I will be the first one on the bus.
2010 (09 to upper deck) is going down as putrid-filth-level production. I cannot buy a thing. I bought a blaster of 09toppschrome fergawdsakes...I hated 09topps....

Motherscratcher said...

When I looked at your break I was thinking that it wasn't that great for what those boxes cost. But $14? Christ.

I think baseball more than the other sports would be alright to open older stuff since the newer is so uninsipring. One of my favorite products that you did once was the Bowman's Best. I'd always be in for that.

Joe S. said...

And it's not like Ultimate is the only high end product with little to no return on investment. Look at UD Black or Triple Threads for that matter, yikes.

slugger3469 said...

Although Ultimate does have some crazy potential, it is WAY too much of a crap shoot at $130+ for 4 cards. At least give me the courtesy reach-around for that kind of dough...

Speaking of crap, Triple Threads isnt any better. Or Black. Or Sterling. Or anything high end really. Odds are way too long on a good pull. Id rather give my money to the blackjack table where Id at least have a chance of getting it back.

I just bought 2 boxes of 05 Donruss Champions @ $55 each from Blowout. Decent looking base set, lots of parallels, and 8 hits per box. EIGHT!! I pulled a Dontrell Willis Platinum #d 5/5 (base), a Ripken game used ball w/ stitches #d /20, a Robin Ventura 3 color patch #d/30 and a Vernon Wells Recollection Collection auto /49. Plus 13 MORE hits, all of players I've actually heard of!

My point is, if it's new and shiny it isnt always the best thing, or even a good thing. Five year old Donruss stuff, to me at least, is still a good bang for the buck.

Pop Startled said...

I agree with all of the sentiments, but the one note I'd bring up about opening older boxes or more historical/retired boxes is the absense of any players from newer teams. As a Marlins collector, there would be no value. I know that there's really no return in value for some of the higher end boxes that are currently coming out, but at least they're going to have a chance to pull a Rockies or Diamondbacks player. Maybe we do away with the high end option?

The Wax Wombat said...

I prefer buying things pre-2006. Just seems to be more value for your dollar.