About Me

Thursday, September 30, 2010

I still don't need "advanced" statistics to decide the AL Cy Young

Blah blah blah advanced metrics, blah blah blah

I still have no idea why anyone needs avanced statistics to figure out the AL Cy Young.  There has been talk that the W/L record is overrated.  I don't agree with that, but I do agree that it isn't the only stat that should be considered for the Cy Young.

Consider
                    W   L    CG     IP       ERA    BB     K    WHIP   BB/9   K/9


Sabathia       21   7     2      237.2   3.18      74    197   1.19     .31    .83

Price            19   6     2      207.2    2.73      79    187   1.2      .38    .90

Lester          19   8      2      204      2.96      78    220   1.16    .38   1.08

Bucholtz       17   7      1      173.2   2.33      67    120   1.2      .38    .69

Hernandez    13  12     6      249.2   2.27      70    232   1.06    .28    .93

In this case W/L is one stat, but Felix leads or is second in every other meaningful catagory whereas no one else is close to that.  Thus I don't need advanced metrics or stats to tell me who the best overall pitcher is.  If anyone else wins, it's purely based on Hernandez W/L record being poor.

5 comments:

Sports Card Radio said...

I don't follow the AL too much - but Hernandez's stats look amazing. His CG's and IP are really high. W-L is a team stat, so for an individual award I'd think you'd have to rank Felix near or at the top.

Captain Canuck said...

I can see Price getting some votes, he's really come on strong this season... but Felix should win easily.

TheBrooklynMet said...

I will be quite annoyed if Felix does not win it, but unfortunately there is the damned yankee mystique backing CC.

Collective Troll said...

If I had a vote, it would be Price, but King Felix's complete games and strikeouts and ERA are damned impressive... I would probably pick him second and go with Lester as my number 3...

King Felix 4 CY said...

He will lose the Strikeout title now for sure, seeing how the Mariners have shut him down, denying him the closing day start he was to make on Sunday. If Clay shuts out the Yankees on Saturday, Felix will lose the ERA title too.