About Me

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Group Breaks are funny

When I opened up the Topps Chrome group case break allowing people to pick their team at $26-$29 a slot, the break filled about half way up in a day or two.  Now with a much lower price, the break is about 1/3 of the way filled, but people can't pick their team.

This is a very interesting result.  There are certain teams that no one wants so they don't get picked, yet fewer people want the risk of getting that team apparently.  I have been thinking of a way to fix this.  I could take the teams like the Dbacks, Rocks, Padres, etc and put them into groups of two at a steep discount and then jack up the price of the teams that are taken.  Basically a catchall group or 2 teams each.  Any Ideas?

3 comments:

Are No said...

Sounds realistic!

Motherscratcher said...

How about this:

You open 15 slots. Everyone gets 2 teams. The first 15 to join get to pick their team first come first serve. They can pick any of the 30 teams. The 15 remaining unpicked teams get randomed. That way, all teams are chosen, but everyone at least gets to pick their favorite teams. All slots same price.

Colbey (flywheels) said...

I blew out the pricing on the teams that never get picked in my group breaks...but then again I'm not opening high end stuff like you do. It seemed to work as I finally had teams like the Marlins and Padres.