About Me

Thursday, February 3, 2011

From The Joe Collector Archives - 2005 Topps Update All Star Relics

Ah yes, the days before the blog.  I had more direction then I suppose but in a lot of ways our collecting directions come and go.  I went through a stage where I wanted to bust cases of 1990's-early 2000's Topps.  That went terribly.  I realized that I could open a case, get one auto and two jerseys.  Yes everyone, that's how rare jersey cards used to be.  More on that in a future post.  I realized how rare some relic cards could be and that is why I went in this direction.  Plus the all star game is highly recognizable.

In 2005 Topps Update and Highlights, Topps inserted all star relics.  The blue  border cards below were approximately 2 per box, at least that is how many I got out of the one box I opened.  I have no idea whether I have a whole set of these which brings me to another point.  Topps needs to give these numbers and not just AS-DL.  That doesn't help ya jack holes.
Photobucket

Below are the Midsummer covers /150. Game used balls. I have no idea what the insert ratios are, but they seem to be rare.  Quick story, and if you are reading that is what you are looking for. There was a huge lot of these on ebay at one time and I bid and bid.  The lot got up to $80 and damnit I was in the car on my iphone trying to get it and lost.  Damn.  There are a few auctions I have lost that still bug me, this is one of them.
Photobucket
These are the Touch em all game used bases /1000.  That is right, /1000.  If you haven't deduced it by now, Topps made a ton of this stuff.
Photobucket
Legendary Sacks /300.  Very cool.
Photobucket

Now for the main event, All Star Patches.  These really are patches as they are all single color and seem to be cut from the patch part of the jersey.  But very silly indeed.  Here is the rub on these.  They are numbered anywhere between /20, yes 20 and /70.  Again, no idea how close I am to a set.  Really Topps?  Can't just number these 1 of 50, 2 of 50 and so on.  I believe there are 60+ of these.  Also, these sell for a substantial amount, at least they did when I bought them.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Stay tuned for a continuing series of posts.

5 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Interesting. I wasn't buying cards then so I've never seen any of those.

Grand Cards said...

I loved this set--this was one of the first things I started going after when I got back into collecting into 2007, although by then some of these were hard to come by.

This ASG was in Detroit and I was lucky enough to go to all the events and festivities. I've tried to track down the Tigers cards since then, but some--like a Pudge Rodriguez midsummer covers or he Mark Fidrych Legendary Sacks--have rarely, if ever, been listed since I started looking for them.

There are two additional sets too: Derby Digs (Home-run Derby Worn jerseys) and On-Deck Circle cards, which I have never seen.

Thanks for the post!

AdamE said...

I remember when these came out and i really liked them. I tried to pick up a bunch of them off ebay but some jerk kept outbidding me.

stusigpi said...

I was that jerk.....

AdamE said...

I said it jokingly...