About Me

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sometimes they cost a lot

The history of the 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces Football Burgundy /25 set.  I didn't seriously collect this set because I figured that such a thing was impossible.  I had a few of these cards, picked up a couple on ebay, 1 or so per case, sometimes it's 2.  These show up on Ebay and COMC every once in a great while. I had bid on a few like Sayers and Nelson but never really took it seriously. Until I did this. This was the turning point and I decided that I was going to go for the set.  I had noticed that a lot of the cards were being bid up and a single buyer seemed to be getting them.  Finally the guy gave up, windfall for me.  I can't imagine what it cost to track these down singly.  Well maybe I do.

Thing about sets that are /25 or /50 is that you pretty much have to pay whatever it takes but I do have my limits.  Luckily I have picked up a lot of the stars but still have a few to go.  One of those stars was Tom Brady #83 in the set.  I had already picked up Tom Brady #84.  83 showed up the other day for a starting bid of $9 cash money.  I watched it and watched it and watched it.  It finally got an opening bid.  I wasn't worried, happens often on cards I need.

Anyway, I put in a healthy bid with seconds to go thinking $15-$18  or so, nope, went for $32 ish plus ship.  Holy Crap.  Luckily I knew where another one was and picked it up.  Paid a lot more than I wanted to, but meh.

SN 1/25

I'm 70/86.

Little Help?

Green /75 Need 1
3 - David Tyree

Light Blue /50 need 4
2 - Adrian Peterson
79 - Scott Norwood
83 - Tom Brady
86 - Vince Lombardi

Green Metallic /50 need 3
10 - Brett Favre
78 - Jack Lambert
81 - Terrell Owens

Burgundy /25 16
5 - Barry Sanders
10 - Brett Favre
13 - Champ Bailey
15 - Dan Marino
19 - Desmond Howard
31 - Eli Manning
35 - Frank Reich
37 - Gale Sayers
39 - Herm Edwards
44 - Jim Thorpe
46 - Joe Montana
49 - John Elway
51 - Jordy Nelson
67 - Paul Hornung
73 - Lester Hayes
82 - Terry Bradshaw

No comments: