About Me

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Gary Carter

As everyone knows Gary Carter passed away today.  It's times like these that I can understand the nostalgia of HOF voters when they vote in the heroes of their childhood yet give little credence to players that are their contemporaries in age.

One of those players was Gary Carter.  Gary Carter started with the Expos and then famously played for those 86 mets.  That perm of his always sticks in my mind.  Anyway, the first "big old card" I had as a kid was this one:

This was a huge card to have.  The Rookie Cup.  I knew it wasn't his rookie card but who had that kind of money in those days?  When I look at this card it reminds me how much I hate base topps now.  This card is excellent in every way, todays base is on terrible card stock and cares more about gloss, foil stamping, gimmicks, inserts and crappy hits than just making a fucking baseball card.  But I digress.

Anyway, one new product I gave a thumbs up to is Panini Century Collection.  I still think it is a good value even though Panini and I had a falling out over their current practices and products.  I think it's a good value because it is a different product that offers much more than just the same old same old.

Could you imagine if this was on card?
Photobucket

Regardless it is one of my favorite cards in my collection. 

I remember that 76 Topps card, I eventually picked up his rookie. I will never forget those summers. I remember 86 like it was yesterday.  It's sad to see a hero go.  It's sad to know that we aren't children anymore, but all things must change.  So goodbye Mr. Carter, I know that you played baseball for a number of reasons but I can say you simply made my childhood better.

3 comments:

the sewingmachineguy said...

"...todays base is on terrible card stock and cares more about gloss, foil stamping, gimmicks, inserts and crappy hits than just making a fucking baseball card."

So true. And you're right about the shitty card stock too.

Captain Canuck said...

well said bud.


hey, did you get my email a week or so ago?

stusigpi said...

Let me take a look.