About Me

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Everyone wants to make a profit...but they usually don't /10

As I've said before, the collection is slow going these days though I do make some pickups here and there.  Before I get to that, a special comment from Uncle Joe

I have spent thousands and thousands on Masterpieces but have no delusions about the value. I know I will never come close to recouping what I've spent but I really don't care.  I've enjoyed collecting them and from the comments that I get from all of you I can tell that some of you enjoy it almost as much as I do.

Every once in a while I find a collector that wants to sell or is giving up on collecting.  I'm usually more that happy to kick down some coin to help them out.  I'm even prone to overpaying just for the hell of it but I do have my limits.  On this occasion, the gentlemen that made a hell of a run at putting together the red /10 masterpieces football auto set gave up the ghost.  I offered to buy him out well into the four figures but he has been trying to sell his collection piecemeal because he probably thinks that I am low balling him.  Also, he tells me that he massively overpaid for some of the cards...unfortunately that isn't my problem.  He told me what he paid for a couple of the cards and he paid more than double what a $100 card should sell for...maybe triple.

In the meantime I have been watching his sales and picking up cards as they hit the price I am willing to pay.  Some of the cards I am ok pulling the trigger on because I like them.  Others, I will wait until they get to where I want them to be.  It still amazes me what people want their cards to be worth and I really can't blame them.  That's why I don't sell cards from my collection.  Without further ado, $20 each.

Ray Rice /10.  Sure he knocked his now wife out in the elevator, but from a collecting standpoint I couldn't care less what these guys do off the field.  He's had a decent career up until now.

 Chris Johnson /10.  Johnson once rushed for over 2000 yards in a season and he might actually make it to 10,000 yards.  If I was Chip Kelly I might pick him up.

No comments: