About Me

Saturday, December 12, 2015

This is a rare auto #noromo

To anyone that has tried to put together a set with sp's, ssp's and ssssp's, there is an appreciation of random cards that are all but impossible to find.  There are several of those autos in the 2008 Masterpieces Football auto set.  Eli Manning, John Elway, Matt Ryan, Favre, Marino and others are extremely rare, What's worse is that some of these end up being redemptions such as Favre.

Some of the SSP's are a little surprising, Franco Harris, Jeremy Shockey (may have been a weirdly distributed redemption), Kenny Stabler, etc.  Sometimes you get lucky and pick up these rare cards cheaply.  For example, I found that Jim Thome 2007 Masterpieces auto hidden in a lot.....paid a few bucks for it but haven't seen one since.

Well the other day a gentlemen posted a particularly rare auto.  I contacted him immediately, though he assured me the card would go cheaply, I offered him $40 for which he couldn't accept fast enough.  Yesterday, that card arrived:

This is the second 2008 Tony Romo Masterpiecs I have ever seen...that's 7 years of watching...and I don't miss much.  In fact, I have seen more of the Red /10 than I have the black unnumbered. The other thing about this card is how complete the auto is in comparison to his other autos.

You may also recall a brief mention of a large collection of Masterpieces I bought last summer.  The guy has opened 7 or so cases, maybe more of the football.  he was attempting to put together the parallel sets just like me.  he had first contacted me a number of years ago, maybe 5 or 6.  He refused to sell the parallels at that point but did sell me his patches.  Well he finally approached me to sell his collection of around 1000 cards including autos.

2008 Masterpieces Joe Namath...again very rare:
2008 Masterpieces Dick Butkus
2008 Masterpieces Jack Ham

He had some others that I bought as well:
 These are all sps of various levels. The Mcfadden is interesting because its the only auto signed in red.  It was a redemption and I am not aware of any Red border /10.
 Some Forte for the fun of it. Below, you'll see the Rathman, Craig, Manning and Hornung.  The Hornung is pretty hard to find as well, though there is one available on ebay pretty regularly
 For some reason the Hayes. Tittle  and Johnston don't come up for sale very often.

1 comment: